Scammers are unlawfully claiming to be Aspion recruiters and sending fake job ads over WhatsApp and text. This is employment fraud.
Employment fraud definition
Employment fraud refers to any dishonest or deceptive activity related to the recruitment, hiring, or employment process that is intended to deceive or defraud job seekers, employees, or employers for financial gain or other illicit purposes.
Unfortunately, these scams are becoming increasingly common, so it’s important to be vigilant.
How to spot a recruitment scam
At Aspion, we never send unsolicited WhatsApp or text messages to people we don’t know.
Here are some other signs the message you’ve received is a scam:
- You weren’t expecting the message.
- You don’t recognise the sender’s name, number, or email address – crosscheck their contact information with our website and LinkedIn.
- The email they give you is from a generic address, e.g., Gmail or Hotmail – our email addresses take the format of email@example.com.
- The job description is vague or poorly written.
- The job description offers an unrealistic salary or benefits.
- You are offered a job urgently, and without an interview.
- You’re asked to make an upfront payment or send personal details.
- You are asked to follow a suspicious link.
Be cautious of offers that seem unrealistic, too generous, or come out of nowhere – they may be designed to lure job seekers into a scam.
Trust your instincts: if something doesn’t seem right about the message, stop replying.
What to do if you’re contacted by a scammer using the Aspion name
If you suspect a scammer is using Aspion information to obtain personal information or payment, please contact us ASAP.
Here are some steps you can take if you think you might be talking to a scammer:
- Screenshot their details and the conversation and report the scam to Action Fraud. Please also notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have sent money or shared financial information, contact your bank immediately.
- Report scam texts by forwarding them to 7726 – a free service for reporting suspicious calls or texts.
- Report scam WhatsApps within the chat in the app.
- Report scam emails by forwarding them to email@example.com.
Remember: Aspion do not make first contact with jobseekers or request applications, sensitive information, or payments over text or instant messaging services.
Aspion Search – Contact Us: https://aspion.co.uk/contact/
Action Fraud – Recruitment Scams: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/a-z-of-fraud/recruitment-scams
Ofcom – How to report scam texts and mobile calls: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/scams/7726-reporting-scam-texts-and-calls
WhatsApp – How to block and report contacts: https://faq.whatsapp.com/1142481766359885/?cms_platform=android